- Work for an organisation that makes a difference!
- Parklea Correctional Centre – 0.5 FTE
- Emu Plains Correctional Centre – 0.5 FTE
About CatholicCare Western Sydney & The Blue Mountains
CatholicCare Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains is a not-for-profit that aims to serve the community in the Catholic Diocese of Parramatta by overseeing the provision of high-quality social services operating according to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching. CatholicCare respects the dignity, worth, diversity, cultures and beliefs of all people and is renowned for its hands-on and practical approach to the service and pastoral care of people in this area.
At CatholicCare, what inspires us most is hearing what really matters to our clients so we can support them to live with joy and purpose. We are a unifier, bringing together individuals and families with their community. This is what inspires us every day so all those in our community may live with joy and purpose.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking either a 1x full time or 2 x part time positions to work at Emu Plains Correctional Centre (minimum security for female inmates) and/or Parklea Correction Centre (medium to maximum security for male inmates).
Chaplaincy, in conjunction with a range of other services, ensures that people in custody are given the best chance of successfully reintegrating into society once they have completed their sentences.
As a Catholic Chaplain you will provide high quality transformational pastoral care and spiritual support to inmates, staff, and families in line with the CatholicCare Mission, Vision and Values.
In doing so, you will work inclusively with people of diverse backgrounds and needs, of faith or not, to sustain and empower them to attain holistic wellbeing.
You will need:
- Demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church and its faith traditions
- Endorsement by the Civil Chaplaincies Advisory Committee (CCAC) and accredited by the Commissioner of Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) to work as a full-time, part-time or sessional chaplain to inmates, correctional officers and departmental officers at a correctional centre
- Pastoral Care and/or Pastoral Counselling qualifications such as Clinical Pastoral Education (minimum 400 hours) or equivalent and ability to articulate a variety of theological perspectives arising from an individual’s particular theological formation. CatholicCare is also willing to consider a candidate that is prepared to undertake and complete (minimum 400 hours) accredited CPE course within a year of appointment
- A tertiary qualification in Spiritual Care or Theology such as Master of Arts or Social Science (specialising in spiritual care, counselling) (Desirable)
- Understanding of and demonstrated ability to work sensitively with individuals and faith/community groups from diverse religious, spiritual and cultural traditions
- Demonstrated ability to listen, respond and act with sensitivity, empathy, compassion, and confidentiality including an understanding of problems which may be experienced by inmates, their families, and staff
- Capacity to maintain a clear and appropriate definition of the Chaplain’s role in relation to other members of the multi-disciplinary team working within the Correctional Centre
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships, work collegially within a team and a multi-disciplinary and multi-faith environment
- Ability to organise and coordinate religious and cultural events such as festivals and other celebrations
- Capacity to adapt and respond to the changing conditions and situations within the Correctional Centre setting
- Ability to lead prayer and liturgy
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Competence in Microsoft Office and related software
- A current NSW drivers’ licence with the flexibility to travel to multiple locations
The successful candidate will be required to hold or be willing to obtain a valid Working with Children Check in accordance with Child Protection legislation and Criminal Record Check (obtained within the last 6 months) with no disclosable court outcomes
What we offer
Competitive remuneration and salary packaging
- Collaborative working environment
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
If you are passionate about working with the community and want to experience a role that is both challenging and rewarding, we would love to hear from you!
Submit your application via email (Cover Letter addressing the selection criteria and Resume). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Prison Chaplain enquiry via CatholicCare Website. The position description can be viewed here.
If you are shortlisted:
- You will take part in a 10-15-minute phone screen
- Be invited to come along to an interview where CatholicCare will determine your suitability for the role
- Your references will be checked
- A verbal offer will be made followed by necessary safety, employment and compliance screening
- An interview with the Chaplaincy Coordinator for Corrective Services and further screening and clearances will take place with the Civil Chaplaincies Advisory Committee and accreditation by the Commissioner of Corrective Services
- When complete an offer of employment will be made and we can determine when you can start and join the team!
Want more information?
For more information, please email: email@example.com
CatholicCare is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and vulnerable adults and that all children, young people and vulnerable adults have an equal right to protection from abuse. We will take every reasonable step to ensure that children, young people and vulnerable adults are protected. All suspicions and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately.