NAIDOC Day Celebrations
On Monday 9th July Aboriginal Catholic Services (ACS) Emerton held our annual NAIDOC celebration!
The celebration commenced with a Welcome To Country speech by Aunty Janice Kennedy and Linda McDonald. They both introduced the theme ‘Because of her, we can’. This theme is based on the achievements of Indigenous women all over Australia. It helps to pave the way for younger generations of Indigenous women, and we have a lot of Aboriginal women to celebrate and be proud of.
The Emerton community were invited to join in the celebration enjoying rides, fairy floss, face painting, sausage sizzle, drinks, cake, coffee and tea. We were entertained throughout the day by Roz and The Vintage group and many commented on how much they enjoyed having a cuppa and taking in the music. Bernard Hoffman did The Smoking Ceremony and introduced traditional Aboriginal dancing group, Nulungudreaming.
A Big Thank You to the many friendly faces from CatholicCare Western Sydney & the Blue Mountains for manning the stall, and thank you to the Bishop Most Reverend Vincent Long Van Nguyen.
To all the Stall Holders – thank you to all the services that helped create a successful fun-filled day:
- WestConnect Domestic Violence Services
- Aboriginal Child Family and community Care State Secretariat
- NewPin Fathers Centre
- Western Sydney University
- Legal Aid NSW
- Mt Druitt Learning Ground
- Western Sydney Family Referral Service
- Department of Human Services
- Australian Nurse Family Partnership program – GWAHS
- Sydney region Aboriginal Corporation
- Australian Hearing
- Catholic Care Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- Aboriginal Medical Services